I believe we were supposed to create a scene within a cube for this project (I’m a bit foggy on the details…). I decided to make two related scenes, one on the outside and one on the inside. The outside scene is comprised of photographs with added speech bubbles and organized into a short scene. The inside is all hand drawn images. The relationship between the two scenes is that the outside is about how busy I was finding myself in college with all of my art projects. I was so busy that I rarely had time for anything else. The inside was about how I didn’t really consider the time spent on my projects as a bad thing; I had so many ideas floating around in my head that I was glad to have some way to make them realities.
The cube is made out of foam board that I cut into six squares. I then cut a recess into each of the sides and placed a thin layer of metal into the recesses. After completing the inside and outside images in Photoshop, I printed them out onto two large sheets of poster board which I cut into the shape of a flattened cube. I then spray mounted the foam board squares to the back of the outside images (the recesses with the metal plates were facing up) and spray mounted the inside images to the front of the foam board squares (this covered the metal plates). I then made a second, smaller cube out of foam board, and simply glued the sides of it together. Finally, I took magnet sheets and glued those to the outside of the smaller box. This way, the magnets would attract the metal plates and help keep the cube closed. The smaller box also held markers inside. These were supposed to be used by my classmates during the critique to draw on one of the inside panels. However, no one ended up drawing on it because no one wanted to “mess it up.” Oh well.